Know how to protect your loved ones and your home
Because of strong regulations and practiced industry standards, propane has an outstanding safety record.
However, we at Williams Energy know that you have to help with that safety record. That’s why we’re informing you about how to protect yourself if you smell gas, whether it’s in your home or anywhere else around gas equipment.
The directions below are essential to protecting lives and property. Follow them as soon as you smell gas.
- Put out any sources of ignition, like candles or cigarettes.
- Get out of the house or the area where you smell gas RIGHT AWAY.
- Don’t use any light switches, thermostats, telephones or appliances on your way out of the house or the area where you smell gas.
- Close the gas shutoff valve on the propane tank or cylinder if you can safely access it.
- Call 911 and Williams Energy once you’re far enough away from the area where you smelled gas.
- Give emergency personnel and the qualified propane-service technicians time to check for escaped propane gas and to do any repairs.
- Even if you no longer smell gas, stay away from the area and don’t attempt to turn on the propane supply valve.
- A trained propane-service technician has to repair the leak, carefully inspect all gas appliances and relight all pilots.
- Wait until you have permission from emergency personnel or the service technician before going back.
Ready to learn more about propane safety? The Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) has developed videos that will tell you all about propane safety, with topics including propane tank safety, propane heater safety and more!
Do you have questions about propane safety? Contact us. We’re glad to help!
“I have only been with Williams for a very short amount of time. But, in that time the staff I have interacted with have been amazing. It is comforting to know they care about the company and customers and take the time to explain things out in detail. I highly recommend Williams Energy to anyone looking. I had issues with my burner, and I called the morning of the issues. Within 2½ hours a technician was at my door and fixed the problem.”