Four Key Habits Of Nutritious Grilling
Written on: May 6, 2021
Spring barbecue season is in full swing here in Massachusetts – time to fire up your propane grill for some outdoor cooking.
Just remember to grill healthy! Here are four ways to do it.
- Wash frequently and keep surfaces clean – Bacteria can be spread quickly between you, your food, and your prep surfaces. Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before and after handling food and after using the bathroom, changing diapers and handling pets. Wash your cutting boards, dishes, utensils, and counter tops with hot soapy water between preparation of different foods.
- Avoid crossing raw and cooked foods – Harmful bacteria can spread foodborne illness. Use one cutting board for fresh produce and a separate one for raw meat, poultry and seafood. Never place cooked food on a plate that previously held raw meat, poultry, seafood or eggs.
- Cook to minimum safe temperatures – Food should be cooked to a high enough internal temperature to kill harmful bacteria. Use a food thermometer and follow these guidelines for safe food temperatures.
- Avoid HCAs and PAHs – Heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are two dangerous chemicals produced when you cook fatty meat over intense heat and flame. To keep HCAs and PAHs from forming,
- choose leaner meats over fatty alternatives
- marinate with olive oil and herbs of the lamiaceae family (basil, mint, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and sage)
- choose smaller cuts, which cook faster and allow less time for HCAs to form (think kabobs)
- turn food often (frequent flipping inhibits HCA formation)
- eat more grilled fruits and vegetables – PAHs and HCAs don’t form on grilled fruits and vegetables (asparagus, tomatoes, eggplant, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, pineapple, cantaloupe, and even apples are all great for grilling).
Our Tank Exchange Service
Keep your propane grill fired up all season long with TANKS TO YOU bottle exchange at Williams Energy!
Here’s how it works:
- Use our online order form to schedule a tank exchange. A delivery will be scheduled and tank(s) delivered within 2 business days.
- It’s a contactless delivery! We’ll take the empty cylinder(s) and leave you a full cylinder(s).
- You don’t have to be there when we make our delivery, because we will leave your cylinder(s) in a safe place accessible to our delivery drivers.
- Our delivery service is done Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., all year round.
- Plus, if you need your propane cylinder disconnected and your new one reconnected to an outdoor propane appliance, our delivery drivers can do that too.
If you prefer, bring your tank to us at our Braintree (39 Adam Street) or Marshfield (717 Plain Street) location during regular business hours for fast and easy propane cylinder refills.
Grill healthy all season long with Tanks To You propane cylinder exchange from Williams Energy. Contact us today to learn more!